Yamaha Bicycles is launching their new Civante, a Class 3 (28 mph) electric power-assist bike, expanding its line-up of fitness-focused road bikes. There are very few drop bar e-road bikes that are Class 3, most are Class 1 and cut off motor assist at 20 mph. Most roadies go above 20, so the assistance gets them there, but then they have to pedal a heavier bike with no assist.
The Civante uses Yamaha’s trusted PWSeries SE motor and a host of good components and features. The bike specs out like this:
- Center-mounted PWSeries SE Motor seamlessly integrated into the chassis and delivering four levels of smooth power assist.
- Class 3 power assist up to 28 mph, with up to 70Nm of max torque, and cadence support up to 110 rpm.
- Long-lasting 500-watt-hour Lithium-ion battery pack with versatile charging options (on or off the bicycle) with Yamaha’s high-speed charger (charges from 0-80 percent in approximately one hour).
- Multi-function LCD display with Bluetooth app compatibility and a clear, bright readout showing assist modes, speedometer, odometer, trip meter, battery capacity, clock, stopwatch, diagnostics and more.
- Ergonomic drop handlebar design for multiple riding positions to deliver optimal efficiency and control, and extra padding wrapped in cork bar tape for vibration damping comfort.
- Built-in convenience features including an LED front headlight, prewiring for Yamaha’s rear rack with integrated taillight, and rack and fender kit mounts.
- Yamaha aluminum frame and fork with integrated housing and cable routing for a sleeker look and better protection from the elements.
- E-Bike-rated tires featuring reflective sidewalls and smooth tread with exceptional protection from flats built into the casing.
- Mid-depth aerodynamic wheels with strong 12mm thru axle hub designs for maximum control and confidence when cornering.
- Durable 10-speed drive train, double chainring, Shimano STI shifters and hydraulic disc brakes.
The bike comes in Polar White, will be available this Summer, and is priced at $3399. Yamaha backs it up with a three-year warranty on the drive unit, battery, controller, display and frame.